This cherry chia jam was a huge hit with the littles. They ate the entire jar so next time I will definitely have to make a double batch.
Chia jam is so easy to make and it’s incredibly healthy. I make some every week with whatever fruit happens to be in season. And when nothing local is in season I often use frozen fruit instead. Dark cherry is my absolute favourite in the winter. It’s perfect with warm oatmeal on a cold winter’s day.
Cherry Chia Jam
This fresh jam can be put together in less than 10 minutes. Then you simply pop it in the fridge and wait for it to thicken.
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- squeeze of lemon
- Add cherries and 1 tbsp of water to a small saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until the fruit starts to break down.
- Remove from heat and mash.
- Add a squeeze of lemon and chia seeds.
- Refrigerate for several hours while the chia seeds plump up and thicken the jam.
This recipe can easily be doubled. Store in fridge for 4 or 5 days or freeze. Canning is not recommended.