We picked up some lovely fresh carrots from our local farmers’ market. It is amazing how much sweeter they are. Using good carrots and garnishing this soup with some chopped cashews for crunch and fresh herbs really elevates this dish.
Cream of Carrot and White Bean Soup
Pair this hearty vegan soup with a green salad and some fresh bread for a lovely light dinner.
- 1 lb of carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked navy beans (or 2 cans of white beans)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 quart (4 cups) veggie stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven, add carrots and onion, cook for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and ginger cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and puree in blender. Garnish with fresh herbs such as chives, parsley, or carrot tops and chopped cashews.
This soup can be made in advance and freezes well.