My family is full of chocoholics – including me. We eat chocolate several times a week and I don’t feel guilty about it. To me – it’s all about moderation. We’re a foodie family and I believe enjoying a meal is one of those simple pleasures that should be a part of one’s daily routine.
We rarely eat processed food and, excluding chocolate, we don’t eat a lot of refined sugar and white flour. This granola is whole-grain, packed with fibre, and much healthier than most of the granolas on the grocery store shelves. If you have never tried raw buckwheat groats – you should. They are lovely nutty crunchy little things that are full of protein, fibre and iron.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Granola
This granola is absolutely delicious, easy to make, and keeps for weeks.
- 2 cups large rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- generous pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or another neutral flavoured oil)
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl combine wet ingredients, then add to dry ingredients.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Allow to completely cool.
The chocolate chips can easily be swapped out with dried fruit.