We love collard greens. We adore them. We can’t get enough of them. BUT we’re trying to eat healthier and we also have friends and family that are vegan. I switched up my traditional collards recipe with pleasing results. The key was keeping that lovely smokey flavour in the recipe that a ham hock or bacon can provide. Adding a little liquid hickory smoke did the trick.
Vegan Collard Greens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp liquid hickory smoke
- pinch of red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 large bunch of collard greens, remove coarse stems and slice
- Add oil to a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or so until browned and softened.
- Add vinegar, stock, sugar, liquid smoke, and chili flakes (if using), bring to a simmer.
- Add collard greens, tossing until wilted (I use tongs to toss)
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.